BOOKS & EDITED SPECIAL ISSUES
- The United Nations and targeted sanctions, Editor of Section on Special Issue on International Affairs, Vol. 91, No 6, 2015. Coauthored with Andrea Charron and Clara Portela.
- The Success of Sanctions. Lessons Learned from the EU Experience, Farnham: Ashgate, 2013 (ISBN: 9781409445319).
- EU Security Governance: From Processes to Policies, Special Issue on Journal of Contemporary European Research, Vol. 9, No.3, 2013. Coauthored with Chantal Lavallée.
- Coercing, Constraining, Signalling. Explaining UN and EU Sanctions after the Cold War, Colchester: ECPR Press, 2011 (ISBN: 9781907301209).
- “Human Security and Sanctions, from Security to Governance: Strengthening EU Capacities and Involving the Locals”, Paper commissioned by the Human Security Study Group, SiT/WP/10/16, February 2016.
- On target? EU sanctions as security policy tools, European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS), Report 25, 24 September 2015, edited by Iana Dreyer and Jose Luengo-Cabrera,
- The effectiveness of EU sanctions – An analysis of Iran, Belarus, Syria and Myanmar (Burma), EPC Report N. 76, November 2013 with Paul Ivan
- How EU sanctions work: a new narrative, Chaillot Paper no. 129, European Union Institute for Security Studies, 13 May 2013.
- “Trade agreements and labour standards’ clauses: Explaining labour standards developments through a qualitative comparative analysis of US free trade agreements,“ Global Social Policy, published online in March 2016 (with Gerda van Roozendaal).
- “Understanding United Nations targeted sanctions: an empirical analysis”, International Affairs, Vol. 91, No. 6, 2015, p. 1351–1368.
- “Normative Power under Contract? Commercial Support to European Crisis Management Operations“, International Peacekeeping, Vol. 21, no. 1, 2014, p.37-55 (with E. Cusumano).
- “Beyond Intergovernmentalism: The Europeanization of Restrictive Measures?“, Journal of Contemporary European Reserach, Vol. 9, no. 3, 2013, p. 390-405.
- “Understanding success of targeted sanctions: the European Union in Zimbabwe”, Central European Journal of International and Security Studies, Vol. 6, no. 2, 2012, p. 168-194 (with Krystof Krulis).
- “Understanding the Effectiveness of Targeted Sanctions: the case of the EU in Moldova”, European Foreign Affairs Review, Vol. 16, no. 3, 2011, p. 359-378.
- “The Restrictive Measures of the European Union. Developing analytical categories to understand functions and utility of EU sanctions,” The International Spectator, Vol. 45, no. 3, September 2010, p. 131-144.
- “Bringing Effectiveness Back In. A Comment on the Restrictive Measures Policy of the European Union”, Central European Journal for International and Security Studies, Vol. 4. no. 1, p. 81-100.
SELECTED CONTRIBUTIONS TO VOLUMES
- “Purposes of Targeted Sanctions” in Targeted Sanctions. The Impacts and Effectiveness of United Nations Action edited by Thomas Biersteker, Sue Eckert, and Marcos Tourinho, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- “From effective to useful sanctions: lessons learned from the experience of the European Union”, in Coercive Diplomacy, Sanctions and International Law edited by Natalino Ronzitti Brill, 2016.
- “EU military operations budget under strain: the crisis, the EU and its Member States”, Ispi Analysis n. 157, February 2013, available at http://www.ispionline.it/sites/default/files/pubblicazioni/analysis_157_2013_0.pdf.
- “Da Sanzioni Comprensive a Sanzioni Mirate. L’Evoluzione di uno Strumento Fondamentale di Politica Estera” in Filippo Andreatta and Lorenzo Zambernardi (eds.) La politica internazionale in transizione, Bologna: Il Mulino, 2012.
- “The bilateral relations with Moldova”, chapter in L’Italia ed i Vicini Orientali dell’Unione Europea (Italy and the EU Eastern Partners), Istituto per gli Studi di Politica Internazionale (ISPI), April 2011, Available at http://www.ispionline.it/it/documents/MAEviciniorientali2011.pdf.
- “Actors and tools in the post-Westphalian world: the targeted sanctions of the European Union”, chapter in Sai Felicia Krishna-Hensel (ed), Order and Disorder in the International System, Ashgate 2010.
- Oldrich Bures. EU Counterterrorism: A Paper Tiger? Terrorism and Political Violence, Vol. 24, no. 3, 2012, p. 520-522.